Thursday, May 14, 2009



Hello to anyone who reads this! (lol)
My name is Kim and this is to be my gardening blog. I hope to keep up a chronical of my gardening adventures in the mountains of Montana. We recently moved here. We have 5 acres of ground that is mostly pasture type with a few Ponderosa and Lodgepole Pines. It has pretty much been overgrazed for 10-14 years with anywhere from 2 to 5 horses. (this is my The acreage is divided I guess you can say in 4 parts. The pictures show

you the area to the south of the house. This is to become my garden. It is fenced at this time with smooth wire but I intend to use some type of electric fencing because of my friendly neighborhood deer. We have several around. Also the yard is pretty much non-existent... although we have a lot of Spotted Knapweed, we don't have a lot of grass. There is much work to be done.

I have started a few seeds... some tomatos, basil, rosemary, dill, monarda, hollyhocks, blanket flower and some others. I chose a mixed seed package of heirloom tomatos. There is Omars Lebanese, Dutchman, Djena Lee's Golden Girl, Golden Sunburst, Aunt Ruby's German Green and Black Russian. I think most the seeds germinated... what I am going to do with over 30 to
mato plants I really don't know! If they survive me and produce I plan to give away all extra tomatos that I have!


I just transplanted 28 tomato plants, a few hollyhocks and some of the basil.
I would sure appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer on gardening in the mountains, challenges, deer help and so on!
Thanks for reading!
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment